Looking at other modelers

 While I've been working to completing my own models, I've been looking at how other people have modelled their own. As I've been looking at robot designs for my own, I've gone to Sketchfab to see how others have been designed and made. 

When looking at references for my Arthur model, I wanted to look for more masculine models. I came across this example by Slava Z. showcasing a male robot model. This is a good example as with this particular robot, the creator has made it so you can see it with different parts missing. This allows us to see how some of the model is made and how each part fits with the rest. 

By panning along the timeframe, you can see the armour and limbs be taken off. This is very helpful for me to understand how each part it put together.

Its wireframe is made up of 19k triangular polygons. The highest density of these polygons is in the hands, shoulders, lower legs and head. These larger amounts of polygons typically indicate either higher detail or a joint in the body. For example, with the hands, there are more joints in a smaller place.

Having a larger amount of polygons in one joint is helpful when it comes to rigging the character as it allows more freedom of movement. Having less polygons can lead to textures being stretched and sharper, unrealistic movement. 



The finished painting of the model is actually very similar to what I want to have for Arthur as it displays scratches and slight damage throughout the body. Adding these impurities can help make a model look more realistic and give it more character. 

The model also has numerous amounts of model numbers and other symbols that add addition character and almost adds a backstory by giving it the impression of it being a mass-produced robot. 


Model link - https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/destructible-robot-1407b71bc11444a18d36cc512e3ff8b6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guinevere's 3D Pir

Guinevere Update

Tidying polygons