Starting to model Guinevere

With my concept art done, I went on to making the model sheets for Guinevere. I created a front and side perspective for the character. In order to create them, I used IbisPaint and was careful with measurements and tried my best to make sure everything was lined up.
When drawing the model sheets, I used both the concept art that I had already done and a basic model sheet to use as a base. 

Once I had finished the model sheets, I wanted to get straight into modelling her.
To start off the model, I wanted to get a basic shape so used the base model sheet that I used to draw mine. With it, I modelled the overall shape of Guinevere’s body which I would later alter to what I wanted. 
I started off her body at the ankle, then finishing the feet before moving up the leg to the torso and arms. 
The only thing that I changed about the model was the lower leg as the model sheet's version made it look strange. Instead, I made it wider to make it appear more natural. 

After I finished half of the model, I could then begin adding any details that I wanted. The additional detail that I added was on the lower leg as the legs are the only part of the body, other than the lower arms, that are visible. 
I got my inspiration for the leg details from a few characters from Tower of Fantasy, in particular Nemesis and Frigg who both have a android/cyborg appearance. Both of them have additional plating and seams on their legs that make them have a more robotic appearance. 
For the knee, I also created indents to make it seem like its somehow connected and to show a bit of her inner workings. 

Throughout the process of modelling her, I kept applying Turbosmooth to check that everything was ok for when I'll eventually smooth her entire body. If something was wrong when I used Turbosmooth, I quickly readjusted and corrected it before checking again.




After I finished half of her body, I went on to creating her "dress". I started at the torso and worked down the arms.
Getting the sleeves done was difficult as I was working with an indentation and I had to also make sure that the hands didn't clip through.
I put in the few wires that I wanted her to have that will simulate her belt. The hardest part however was the skirt of the dress and the "plates" that make it up. 
I tried multiple times to get it to it's current state. Eventually I extruded all the planes down and reshaped them as I went. One of the hardest things I had to do was to make sure the vertical edges of the planes lined up with the model sheet so I could shape the bottom correctly whilst also maintaining the overall shape of the skirt.
Once I had the overall shape, I split the edges to create the long plates and moved them around to make them overlap. 

After this, I'll go onto finishing the belt which will dangle down, adding details to the hands as well as working on her head and facial features. I may also add details to her feet as well.





Comments

  1. Excellent progress so far. Good screen grabs of progress and decent evaluation and analysis

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Guinevere's 3D Pir

Guinevere Update

Tidying polygons